Dec 29, 2015
Reboot and Rebuild Healthy Habits for the year 2016
It’s time to bid goodbye to the year 2015 and you’re probably thinking about what you’d like to do differently the next year.
‘New Year’s Resolution’ – this term in itself is enough to increase the anxiety levels of those wish to improve their health but aren’t sure where to start. It is believed that most resolutions are broken by the end of January
Ever wondered why that happens?
Setting up unrealistic goals that is further backed by incorrect strategies to accomplish these goals contributes to the failure of any resolution that you may have made for the upcoming year. Losing weight, getting fitter and making the right food choices are some of the most common health resolutions that are made every year but how many of you actually have the determination to stick to the plan?
If health improvement is on your list of New Year’s resolutions, here are a few simple tips to help you make gradual lifestyle adjustments. Reboot and Rebuild Healthy Habits for the year 2016
- Start by setting up simple and achievable goals. After completing the first goal, work your way up progressively to the difficult ones
- If you find it difficult to part with your favorite food items, start by limiting the portion size for the first few weeks and gradually substitute them with their healthy counterparts
- Include atleast one kind of physical activity in your daily routine. If work prohibits you from hitting the gym or going for a walk then indulge in household chores, take the stairs instead of the elevator or take your dog out for a walk. The goal is to ensure that you spend less time in a static position
- Find a workout buddy
- Keep an exercise or eating log to check your weekly performance
- Make more time for yourself. If you’ve spend a large part of the year 2015, stressing over work related issues, make leisure time a priority in the year 2016
- Do not let your health take a backseat. Make it a point to schedule and go for your periodic health check-ups as it can help you in getting a better understanding of your current health status. Getting tested regularly will also keep a tab on your blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, vitamin deficiencies etc..
- Try not to be glued to your mobile phones and electronic gadgets for a change. It will not only benefit your health (by keeping you away from dangerous radiation) but also give you a chance to spend some quality time with the important people in your life
- Get atleast 7 to 8 hours of sleep in a day. Sleep is the body’s way of healing and refueling. Lack of sleep has shown to have a disastrous impact on the overall health, not to mention the trauma it causes to the brain, affecting mental health, productivity and mood.
- Getting healthier or eating better doesn’t have to be boring. Don’t forget to add an element of fun in whatever you do. Stress can take a toll on your body and destroy it inch by inch hence everyday make sure you do atleast one thing that makes you happy
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital wishes all a Very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year