A child's musculoskeletal problems are different from those of an adult. Because children are still growing, their body's response to injuries, infections, and deformities may be quite different than what it would be seen in a full-grown person. Sometimes, what is thought to be a problem is just a variation of growth that will resolve with time. Many of the problems children have with their bones and joints do not even occur in adults. And, for the same problem that an adult might have, the evaluation and treatment is usually quite different for a child. Children with complex paediatric problems such as cerebral palsy and spina bifida are best managed by a combined medical-surgical team approach.
Children are not just small adults. They cannot always say what is bothering them, or answer medical questions, or be patient and cooperative during a medical examination. Paediatric orthopaedic surgeons know how to examine and treat children in a way to help them be relaxed and cooperative. They appreciate the worry that goes with having a child with a musculoskeletal problem and they have experience in communicating with anxious family members.
A Paediatric Orthopaedist is a highly trained and experienced Orthopaedic Surgeon who specialises in diagnosing and treating bone & joint problems in children who are still growing. A Paediatric Orthopaedist has chosen to make paediatric care the core of his medical practice. A Paediatric Orthopaedist has typically graduated from an approved medical school (five years), completed an approved Orthopaedic residency programme (three years) and then super-specialised in an accredited Paediatric Orthopaedic Fellowship programme abroad (one to two years). Thus, a Paediatric Orthopaedist has learned, from advanced training (more than ten years) and experience, the unique nature of medical and surgical care of children.
With advanced facilities for patient care at Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, we offer the whole gamut of Paediatric Orthopaedic services at a very reasonable cost. Some of the services available include:
- Dedicated child-friendly Outpatient unit and a 100 bedded exclusive paediatric ward
- Cerebral Palsy Clinic which offers various treatment modalities such as Neuro-developmental therapy, Botulinum (Botox) injections, multi-level soft tissue and bony surgery and comprehensive post-op rehabilitation. Select patients will be offered evaluation by Instrumented Gait Analysis, the first such facility available in the city of Mumbai at a very affordable cost.
- Multi-discipinary Spina Bifida Clinic, where children with spina bifida get comprehensive care from various specialists such as a paediatric orthopaedist, a pediatric surgeon, urologist, neurosurgeon, rehabilitation specialist etc. in one hospital visit
- Clubfoot Clinic to provide clubfoot casting by the Ponseti technique and management of complex relapsed clubfoot by soft tissue releases, tendon transfers or external fixators as appropriate
- Neonatal Hip Screening Clinic by clinical examination and Dynamic Ultrasound for high-risk babies and further management by harness, plaster spica or surgery
- Child & Adolescent Hip Clinic for the management of conditions such as Developmental dysplasia of the hip (congenital hip dislocation), Perthes disease, Slipped capital femoral epiphysis etc. All complex pelvic osteotomies such as Triple innominate osteotomy, Peri-acetabular osteotomy will be performed here.
- Limb Reconstruction & Deformity Correction Clinic using Ilizarov / Orthofix fixators and ‘8’ plate epiphysiodesis for correction of angular deformities.
- Comprehensive Rehabilitation Facilities for children with physical and developmental disabilities