Gynaecologic Oncology is a sub-speciality of Obstetrics and Gynaecology that focuses on diagnosing and treating women with cancer of the reproductive system. At Kokilaben Hospital, the Gynaecological Oncology Unit is a multi-disciplinary team, specifically trained to provide comprehensive care for women with pre-malignant and malignant Gynaecological conditions.
The multi-disciplinary team of Gynaecological Oncology Services at Kokilaben Hospital includes:
- Gynaecological Oncosurgeon - Dr. Yogesh Kulkarni
- Medical Oncologists - Dr. Sandeep Goyle & Dr. PSRK Sastry
- Radiation Oncologist - Dr. Kaustav Talapatra
- Radiologist - Dr. Sharad Maheshwari
- Oncopathologists - Dr. Bijal Kulkarni & Dr. Nanda Kachare
- Rehabilitation Physician - Dr. Abhishek Srivastava
- Counsellor - Ms. Priyadarshani
We have a very precise, stepwise goal oriented approach to evaluation of patient, treatment planning and delivery.
- Evaluation of patients: It is essential to have a thorough evaluation of patients, before we decide on a treatment plan. We have an excellent team of Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine physician and Oncopathologist backed up by state-of-the-art technology that will help us in thorough pretreatment evaluation of patients with Gynaecological cancers.
- Decision and delivery of treatment plan: After pretreatment evaluation the multi-disciplinary Gynaecological Oncology team will decide on the treatment plan which is evidence based, suitable for the patient. We believe in a collective approach between the patient and healthcare team to evaluate the various treatment options and determine the most appropriate plan of care considering the nature of the problem to be treated, the patient's general medical condition, and the patient's goals and expectations.
- Evaluation of treatment plan: Once treatment has been started as per the plan decided by the Gynaecological Oncology team, we will evaluate the response to treatment on a periodical basis, and the treatment plan may be modified as per the response.
- Monitoring recovery: We believe in treating the whole patient and not just the cancer. So we not only decide and deliver an optimal treatment plan, but our team will also help patient in getting back to normal health as early as possible and will provide all the support and help, patient needs in order to get back to normalcy in shortest possible time.
- Follow-up: All treated cancer-patients require regular monitoring and follow-up, in order to detect any recurrence. We decide on a follow-up protocol at the end of treatment, which will help us to detect the recurrences early and treat them effectively.
- Counselling: We at Kokilaben Hospital recognise that the diagnosis of cancer affects more than one individual, counselling and psychological support services are offered for patients and their families.
The Gynaecological Oncology services provide a full-range of women's healthcare, including Diagnostic, Consultative and Treatment services. Following services are offered by our Gynaecological Oncology unit.
- Screening for cervical cancer - Pap Smear/Liquid based cytology/ HPV testing
- Colposcopy clinic
- Excisional procedures for Premalignant lesions of cervix - (Loop electrosurgical excision / Cone biopsy)
- Evaluation/consultation and counseling for high-risk individuals due to b family history of Ovarian/Breast cancers
- Surgical interventions for diagnosed cases of Gynaecological cancers.-
- Surgery for early Ovarian cancer (Staging Laparotomy)
- Surgery for advanced Ovarian Cancer (Debulking Surgery)
- Radical Hysterectomy (Wertheim's Operation)
- Surgery for endometrial cancer
- Total pelvic exentration
- Anterior/Posterior pelvic exentration
- Pelvic/Paraaortic (Retroperitoneal) lymph node dissection
- Radical Vulvectomy + Groin node dissection
- Radical Vulvectomy + Reconstruction
- Chemotherapy and target based therapy for Gynaecological malignancies
- Rehabilitation services
- Counselling and supportive care
- Palliative care
Dr. Yogesh Kulkarni - MD, DNB (Obst. & Gynaec.)
Consultant Gynaecologic Oncologist
To make an appointment, you can call hospital number (91-22) 30696969 or you can call Dr. Kulkarni on (91) 9321542731. A convenient appointment date and time will be given to you.
Please bring all the relevant documents:
- X-Rays, CT scans, MRI scans or other scans report
- and films
- Laboratory reports
- Pathology reports
- Old hospitalisation /chemotherapy/ radiotherapy details
- All your medications presently taken
We encourage all patients to be accompanied by family members, especially spouse or parents to discuss about the disease and help to take decisions.
Family physicians and other healthcare professionals who would like to refer their patients for evaluation and treatment are requested to call either hospital help desk or Dr. Kulkarni on his mobile. The details about evaluation, treatment planning and follow-up advice will be communicated to you promptly.