The Sports Rehabilitation & Performance Enhancement Service has a dedicated area with trained multidisciplinary team and state-of-the-art technology to prevent, manage and rehabilitate persons with sports injury.
The technology and services offered are:
Gait & Motion Analysis Laboratory
India’s first-of-its-kind in a corporate set up, the system consists of simultaneous data acquisition and analysis of four components:
- Six infrared optical cameras capturing human motion in space
- 16 channel telemetric EMG representing muscle activity
- 2 force plates measuring joint angles and forces
- 2 video cameras capturing video in sagittal and coronal plane
The analysis helps in diagnosing abnormal gait and movement patterns, evaluating underlying causes and helps in targeting treatment strategies and corrective action.
Balance Assessment and Training System (BATS)
Proprioceptive deficits are a common sequelae sport injuries hampering early return of function. The prioceptive deficits cause improper weight shift/bearing leading to impaired balance which is key prerequisite of sports performance.
Balance Master is one-of-its-kind as it helps in both proprioceptive/balance assessment as well as training. The training can be individualized as per the assessment targeting specific plane or range of joint movements, affected.
Human Performance Evaluation (VO2 max)
VO2 max (also maximum oxygen consumption or maximum aerobic capacity) is the maximum capacity of an individual's body to transport and utilize oxygen during incremental exercise, which reflects the physical fitness of the individual. This is a key tool in planning performance enhancement of sports persons.
Multi-Joint Dynamometer With Work Simulator
The Multi-joint Dynamometer can measure muscle strength of any major muscle group in three different modes; isokinetic, isotonic and isometric.
This assessment helps in making individualized rehabilitation programmes and strength training schedules for sportspersons, targeting isolated weaker muscle groups specifically. The training can be initiated on the machine using isokinetic mode in the early stage after injury reducing the impact on the joint.
There are two kinds of biomechanical assessment conducted at the centre namely
Regional Assessment: This is done when a client has a particular problem like a twisted ankle or painful elbow.
Full Biomechanical Assessment: Starting at the feet and ending at the base of the skull this assessment is conducted where there are multiple regions of the body involved. This would be the case for many hip, back, neck and shoulder problems. This assessment aims to identify what biomechanical patterns of weakness are present in the body so detailed rehabilitation programmes can be tailored for your individual needs.
We offer a range of fitness tests at the centre. Whether you are a professional athlete or a weekend warrior we will run a detailed set of fitness tests on you. We will be able to tell you exactly how fit you are and how you compare to the elite level athletes in your sport or to the average person in your age category.
From the results of the fitness testing we can tailor strength and conditioning programmes to suit your individual needs.
The types of physical modalities for effective pain relief after sports injury are:
- Shortwave and microwave diathermy
- Laser and therapeutic ultrasound
- Paraffin bath
- Transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation
An aqua treadmill is a treadmill submerged in water that comprises of an exercise chamber and a water reservoir.
What are the benefits of using an aqua treadmill versus a regular treadmill?
Since water is much more viscous than air, the water in the reservoir provides resistance throughout the exercise session and in all areas of movement, thus providing a hydrokinetic exercise. With an aqua treadmill, it is possible to prescribe therapeutic exercises at a relatively vigorous and intense level within a very protective environment.
- The buoyancy of water helps unload the patients’ weight, by adjusting the water depth of the pool. This will optimise the load as per the load bearing capability of the patient
- The surface tension and resistance of water adds helps strengthen specific muscles, increases work out intensity, supports weak muscles and limbs and improves balance of patients
- Hydrostatic pressure reduces heart rate and arterial pressure by assisting blood circulation and increases metabolic rate and calorie burn
- The maintained temperature also increases blood circulation, relaxes muscles and relieves pain
- Water pressure is also beneficial for cardiopulmonary fitness
The aqua treadmill offers walking, back stepping and retro walking exercise. The water depth in the reservoir can be adjusted from a maximum of 48 inches down to four inches, allowing the patient to progress from minimal weight bearing to normal weight bearing. It also has a resting seat within the device and is equipped with underwater lights.
The aqua treadmill can be used by patients of all age groups, for the following purposes:
- Sports injuries
- Water buoyancy (weightlessness) provides gait training, balance enhancement and confidence building for patients and athletes
- Knee or hip replacements
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Personal development and increased confidence for cerebral palsy patients
- Weight loss for obese patients
Providing World Class Sports Physiotherapy Treatment
Our team of qualified sports physiotherapists, lead by Heath Matthews, will use manual therapy techniques which are highly effective in accelerating the healing process. As for an athlete time is money, the longer you are off the field or out of training, the more you are to lose your spot in the team or not meet your performance goals for the season.
Featuring highly advanced and one of the largest sports rehab gymnasium, this centre offers comprehensive sports rehab services in the areas of balance, stability, proprioception, flexibility, stamina, strength, endurance, speed and agility, with an aim to get the patients back on their feet and out on the field in no time.